Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Mother/Daughter LOVE - Jenny Snaza

I loved the discovery and conversation that came through working with my nine-year-old daughter on a NV Awe piece. I first created a ground, using bright neon colors. These are colors that I associate with feminist energy and that frequently pop up in my work. I gave the disk to her with little direction. She decided to draw in this beautiful family of birds migrating across the piece. She explained that the large bird was the mother leading her family to a new home. Her work reminds me of the subconscious influence that I have upon my kids- something that I often forget in the hustle of the everyday. Thank you for this gift, sweet baby.




In my current body of work, the grounds that I work with represent oppression. I choose gridded surfaces, like tile, because of the restrictive nature of the structure. They become useful stand-ins for the patriarchy, language, and gender. Breaking these structures is an act of liberation. It provides novel spaces where new identities can exist and thrive. The cracks in the grid become places for play, and I experiment with bulging forms and gratifying textures.

 

This project challenged my normal process - the ground for the artwork, a small, round, wooden disk, was given as a gift from a fellow artist. It was given with optimism, trust, and space for creative freedom. Breaking this object, this hopeful gift, changed the meaning behind the break. Gone was the catharsis that I usually experience while breaking my grounds, replaced by discomfort. I decided to push through this feeling and broke the delicate balsa wood with a sharp wince.

 

In a futile attempt to reconcile this disconnect, I decided to color both the shards of the disk and the emerging coils in a neon green – unifying them visually through color. Along they go to local artist, Grace Davis. Davis has an optimistic, expressive painting style. She works with vivid colors and layered textures. I wonder what energy she will bring to this new object.





No comments:

Post a Comment