Friday, February 2, 2024

The Hollands Project - sitting in the gallery by Candace Garlock

 

Nathanial Benjamin and Doomed Movement



The For Good Luck show at The Holland Project in Reno was the first of 2024 and it allowed me to really think about awe. We all had to sign up to sit in the gallery during open hours. I signed up for a Saturday sitting and I had asked if I could bring the NV Awe: Tiny Treasures project with me. I was hoping that I could get more participants involved in the project. My best friend from elementary school joined me in this little adventure. Jill Ashenbach and I had not seen each other since high school, so that in itself was an awe moment!

During that day, I realized that for me, it’s the quiet times in the gallery that I enjoyed the most. I was able to find awe while looking at the art. I had time to slow down and just observe and think. I enjoyed the company of Jill, remembering the days of childhood. I enjoyed the “play” from fellow artists coming in that were willing to take a chance with the NV Awe: Tiny Treasures project. For me, that time is precious and unforgettable. 

One of my former students, Terrence Hammond from doomedmovement.com came in with his companion, Magpie, and they both sat down and created the first layer of two discs. The discs were then discovered by avid "awe" 5 year old artist, Emsley Lewis, who has taken this project as her own.  She decided that Magpie needed a bone and some food in a doggie dish. She found some Sculpey clay in my studio and built the remaining pieces.  She also created the fire icon out of fuse beads for Doomedmovement's character.

 “And so, in awe, we go in search of new forms of understanding.” – Dacher Keltner












No comments:

Post a Comment